During Kumbakonam Masi Magam festival we have visited 24 temples in 3 days by bike, thanks to my friend who rented out the bike to us. We reached Kumbakonam from Bangalore by train, stayed in Poppy’s SET Hotel for 3 days, roamed all around Kumbakonam mercilessly in bike for 3 days.
Kumbakonam Masi Magam Festival 2017:
Here are the list of temples we did darshan in Kumbakonam Masi Magam festival 2017.
Day 1 : 11 Mar 2017
- Abhi Mukteswarar temple
- Adi Kumbeswarar temple
- Viyala Someswarar temple
- Tirupandurai Shivanandeeswarar (lord Murugan spl) temple
- Thirunalur meginanam Sivan temple
- Thiruccherai saranathan perumal temple, Divya desam
- Thiruccherai Saraparameswarar temple
- Nachiyar Kovil (kalyana kolam perumal/srinivasa perumal)
- Ramanathaswamy/Saneeswaran Temple
Day2 : 12 Mar 2017
- Ramar Temple, Kumbakonam
- Thiruvisainallur Yoganandheeswarar/Sivayoginathar Temple (Risabha Rasi)
- Sakkottai Amirthakalasanathar Temple
- Marudhanallur (Karukudi) Sarguna Lingeswarar (Karukudinathar) temple
- Then Pon Parappi, Swarnapureeswarar temple
- Nageswaram Temple, Kumbakonam
- Thirunageswaram Temple (Raghu temple)
- Oppiliyappar Temple, DivyaDesam
- Thirupampuram Seshapureeswarar/ Pambureswarar(Raghu Kethu temple)
Day 3 : 13 Mar 2017
- 1.Saranathaperumal Temple, Divadesam, Kumbakonam
- 2.Thiruvalanchuzi ThiruValanchuzhi Nathar Temple (and Swetha Vinayagar Temple –Vellai Pillaiyar)
- Darasuram- UNESCO
- Swamimalai Murugan Temple
- Innambur Ezhuthari Nathar Temple
- Kottaiyur Kodeeswarar Temple
About Masi Magam Importance:
The Masimaham is an annual event that occurs in Kumbakonam in the Tamil month of Masi (February–March) in the star of Magam. Vast crowds of Hindu devotees gather at Kumbakonam to have a dip in the tank. All the rivers of India are believed to meet at the tank on this day and a purificatory bath at this tank on this day is considered equal to the combined dips in all the holy rivers of India. Festival deities from all the temples in Kumbakonam arrive at the tank and at noon, all the deities bathe along with the devotees – it is called “Theerthavari”.The purificatory bath is believed to remove sins and after the dip, pilgrims offer charitable gifts in the hope of being rewarded in the current life and subsequent lives. The temple cars of major temples in Kumbakonam come around the city on the festival night. During the Mahamaham of 1992, the number of devotees were estimated to be one million. (Source – Wikipedia).
We were able to darshan 24 temples continuously for 3 days because we planned everything beforehand, and our energy level matched to roam in the bike non stop. Otherwise would have not been possible travelling by car and with the group or with more family members. It was the most memorable trip where we did crazy riding to temples in Kumbakonam Masi Magam Festival in the year 2017.
In the 3 days of roaming, we fell in Love with this beautiful temple town Kumbakonam, so in the same year and the next year we went road trip of 10+ days to Kumbakonam. Just for the love of most majestic and historically important temples in Kumbakonam.