Do you like Working On Weekend?
We do, myself and my husband Rajesh worked in our co-work office last weekend. It’s rare we get to work on weekends as we always have travel plans. Whenever we are not traveling, we are either on shopping or on a long drive off the city for coffee and recreation. So, for a change, it was good to work on the weekends.
Since the end of 2018, we have developed a habit of working atleast one weekend a month.
Here is why.
Benefits Of Working On Weekends:
As a self-employed, and a regular travelers and a full time homemaker – I have so many good excuses to not to work on weekends. While Forbes magazine pointed out 3 good reasons to work on weekends, I have 6 reasons for working on weekends.
- Less Noise – More work: Co-work space is crowded less on Weekends comparatively, so It is a blessing to work in the less noisy environment. He can work in any kind of environment, but I need some peace fellas.
- Less Phone calls – More work – I get more tasks done when there are no incoming phone calls (only on Sundays).
- Meet the clients – Productive Weekend – Most of the clients are available to meet on Saturdays, so the time spent on meeting clients are the time well spent.
- Read a book – Another benefit of working on weekends is not just work but also to read a favourite books from bucket list. When I compare my reading productivity with home and office, I more likely to read more and finish a book in office. Especially, when I am reading from my laptop, pdf or ePUB version. I keep the hardcovers and paperbacks for travel readings.
- Finish those long pending tasks – Again like reading books, I can finish more of those long pending tasks -both official and personal, when I am working from Office. That includes shopping for the upcoming events and travels.
- Collate the last week trip’s pics – This task is really important for me to write a blog posts. For me to upload pics on this website, I need to sort the pics from my SLR camera and save it in folders date wise in my harddisk, and make it handy.
Sometimes I would have to collate the pics from both my phone (Samsung Galaxy SIII) and his phones (Samsung and OnePlus A6010). Compared to both the Samsung phones we own, I love the pics taken from A6010. I love the deep effect option in One plus A6010 for that professional click.
So, all these things are not possible during crowded weekdays in my coworking open work area and when we are getting constant phone calls. Usually I take somewhere between 3 – 4 hrs for the entire task. Here is how I do it –
- Take out the memory card from SLR Canon camera, insert to my Laptop, upload the pics to desktop folder
- Connect the phones, one by one to copy all the pics to desktop folder
- Also get the better version of pics from the phone Instagram folder
- Collate all pics in one folder
- Now separate the folders date wise.
- Now rename the pics in order of the time captured.
- Do this for all the pics in all the 11 sub folders
- Now save them in (a.) Desktop (b.) Hardisk (c.) Google drive (d.) Facebook albums
- Since Facebook doesn’t have the sub-folders option, I upload only the sorted -main folder.
- Update the life events in Facebook and my personal folders. Write USPs for each trip for future reference.
So, this weekend, 24th and 25th August was one such productive weekend. We worked, We shopped, We roamed, had fun. Here is what I did.
What I call the best Working Weekend: Laptop – Coffee – Shopping
Both the days I worked. I worked, went out for shopping, had lunch outside and totally productive.
On Saturday – 24th Aug 2019
Came office on usual hours with packed lunch for both of us. Worked till lunch, then went out for our favourite ginger tea, 2 kms from our office. Just to kill the noon time sleepy mode, we went to nearby Shopper Stop shopping mall to check out the new collections after the Aug 15 Freedom sale. Liked some stuff and bought some stuff. Anyways was planning to buy new clothes for our upcoming wedding anniversary. And, for the first time I have bought a “crop top”, which we both liked it much.
Came back to the office by 4pm, again worked till 7pm. Went home around 8pm, spent the rest of the evening watching movies.
On Sunday – 25th Aug 2019
A lazy day. Went to office by 10’ish, after breakfast from one of our all time favourite veg restaurant – Krishna Kuteera near our home. Worked till noon. Went out to have lunch in yet another favourite non-veg restaurant – Oye Amritsar near our office. Went to shop next door Max showroom for some kurtis – bought a couple. Then we wanted to buy a backpack for our one-day bike rides. Also to buy the long time pending item – office laptop bags for us. So went to Wildcraft, bought the small backpack, attractive blue bag with orange combination.
(There are huge collections of Wildcraft bags online than in the showroom, sure to check it out).
I also liked their sports wear collections and winter jackets for men and women. Didn’t like their shoe lines though.
We then bought a rain jacket for him and an accessories pouch.
We wanted to come back for laptop bags later because needed some time to compare prices online. It was almost late noon when we returned to the office. After about 2 hrs of work, we decided to leave the office, as we were losing interest and longing to rest for some time to end the weekend well. On the way home we stopped at a shopping mall, had Baskin Robbins Ice Cream. And stopped at Krishna Kuteera for dinner.
Overall happy with how I spent the day. If I had been alone in the office working on weekends, it would not have felt so good. But, lucky me, we spent time together 2 whole days.
To add feather to the cap, he gifted me 2 cute soft toys on both the days 😉 .
Since I worked both the days on weekends, I would be taking off on Tuesday to relax and to maintain the work- life balance. This is again a best day for buying stuff online for home and myself. But he will not take any off in the weekdays, my workaholic husband. He did not even take half day off when we returned from Vellore and Kanchipuram, where in Kanchipuram we walked for 8 kms. The only time he took a weekday off in 2019 was when we went on 5 days road trip to Tirunelveli.
When I can see clearly getting benefited working on weekends, then why not?